Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chili: Cook once, eat twice

I swear there is no such thing as a small batch of chili.  I just keep adding things until it is testing the limit of my pan.  There is no recipe, just the way my dad taught me how to make it years ago. The ingredients are pretty much the standard chili ingredients but may vary based on what is hanging out in my fridge. A pot of chili could be based on a the standard chunk of ground beef buried in my freezer or it may be the destiny of the leftover pork roast in the fridge.  I can't take credit for this(props to Rachael Ray) but I do have the most delicious solution to keep from being forced to eat leftover chili for a week straight.  It is a great way to change standard leftovers, a great freezer casserole, and a family favorite.

Chili Hashbrown Bake(my way):

Layer about 1 inch of chili into a casserole dish. Mix half to 3/4 bag of frozen hashbrowns  and 1 C of shredded cheddar cheese together and pour over over top of chili.  Cover and freeze.  To cook, thaw overnight in fridge and then bake uncovered at 375 for 35-40 min or until chili is bubbling and hashbrowns are golden brown.

Cheesy Hash Brown Chili from Rachael Ray Show:

Cheesy Hash Brown Chili


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1-pound bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
Step
Stir in the tomato paste. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat, for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Step
Add the beans and the tomatoes with their juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Transfer to an 8-by-11-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and cheese. Scatter the potato mixture over the chili. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the chili is bubbling, about 35 minutes.

I apologize that I had no pictures of my own but we were so excited about having a favorite for supper that I didn't even think to take a picture.  Also, you'll have to forgive my lame recipe on this one. I tend to use a recipe as inspiration and then deviate wildly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment